Pumpkin Pie is a traditional pudding to finish off your Thanksgiving feast Perhaps an acquired taste, but for me, nothing better than warm pumpkin pie topped with a good dollop of freshly whipped vanilla cream
Cooking Spanish Style Index
Packet of sweet ready made short crust pastry.
For the filling:
450g/1lb prepared weight Pumpkin flesh, cut into 1in/2.5cm chunks.
2 Large Eggs plus 1 yolk.
3 oz / 75 gm Soft Dark Brown Sugar.
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon.
1/2 level tsp Freshly Grated Nutmeg.
1/2 tsp Ground Allspice.
1/2 tsp Ground Cloves.
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger.
10fl oz/275ml Double Cream.
Fresh Whipped Cream to Garnish.
1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Use a shop bought sweet crust pastry case, about 9inch/23cm diameter and 1.5 inches/4cm deep.
3. To make the filling, steam the pumpkin then place in a coarse sieve and press lightly to extract any excess water.
4. Lightly whisk the eggs and extra yolk together in a large bowl.
5. Place the sugar, spices and cream in a pan and bring to simmering point, giving it a whisk to mix everything together. Pour this over the eggs and whisk again briefly.
6. Add the pumpkin puree whilst whisking to mix thoroughly.
7. Pour the filling into the pasty case and bake for 35-40 minutes. It should puff up around the edges but still feel slightly wobbly in the centre. (Like a custard tart).
8. Remove from the oven and place the tin on a wire cooling rack.
9. Serve chilled (store loosely covered with foil in the fridge) or at room temperature with (vanilla flavoured) whipped double cream.
Tantalizes your taste buds! At least it does mine !
Pumpkin Pie | Oh Yum With Anna Olson.
You don’t want to admit it but fall is just around the corner! Here’s a delicious pumpkin pie recipe to get you ready!
– ¾ cup whole wheat flour (all-purpose)
– ¾ cup cake and pastry flour
– 1 Tbsp sugar
– ½ tsp salt
– 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces and then frozen for 10 minutes
– 1 large egg yolk
– 3 Tbsp cold water
– 1 Tbsp lemon juice
– 2 cup pumpkin puree
– ½ cup packed light brown sugar
– 3 large eggs
– ¾ cup evaporated milk
– 1 ½ tsp finely grated fresh ginger
– ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
– ⅒ tsp ground cloves
– ⅒ tsp salt
– 1 egg whisked with 2 tbsp water, for brushing
Crust Filling Assembly
1. Pulse the flours, sugar and salt to combine in a food processor (or the dough can be prepared by hand or using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment). Add the butter and pulse it in quick pulses until just small pieces of butter are visible and the mixture as a whole just begins to take on a pale yellow colour (indicating that the butter has been worked in).
2. Stir the egg yolk, water and lemon juice together and add this to the dough all at once, pulsing until the dough barely comes together (it should look like a crumble dough). Shape the dough into a disc by hand, wrap and chill for at least 2 hours before rolling. Alternatively, the dough can be frozen for up to 3 months and thawed in the fridge before rolling.
3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to just under a ¼ inch thick. Lightly dust a 9-inch pie plate (do not grease) and line the plate with the pastry, Trim the pastry off right to the edge of the pie plate and press it down gently to secure. Reserve any remaining dough for trim and chill it and the pie shell while preparing the filling.
4. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
5. Whisk the pumpkin purée, brown sugar and eggs together, then whisk in the evaporated milk, ginger, cinnamon, clove and salt. Pour this into the chilled pie shell.
6. To create the trim, roll out the remaining pie dough into a long rectangle and cut into strips about 1/3-inch wide. Braid three strips together, gently pulling the dough a little to stretch it as you braid it.
You may have to make a few braids to cover the complete edge of the pie. Lightly brush the edge of the pie dough and place the braided dough overtop, lightly pressing. Brush the braid(s) with eggwash.
7. Place the pie onto a baking tray and bake the pie for 10 minutes at 400 F, then reduce the oven temperature to 375 F and bake the pie for another 35 to 40 minutes, until the pumpkin filling is set, but still has a little jiggle to it in the centre. Cool the pie to room temperature, then chill completely, about 4 hours, before serving.
8. The pie is best served chilled, and can be stored, refrigerated, for up to 2 days.
Subscribe for more video recipes: http://goo.gl/MJV4af
Click above for Discounted prices of Hotels Apartments, Guest Houses and Villas in Spain.
COOKING Mediterranean style. Is cooking one of your loves in your life or are you a Foodie? Are you interested in Spanish cooking or even Mediterranean dishes? If so, this is an invitation to come and view this fairly popular site. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1675718982707845/
Spain Info. Pumpkin Pie San Francisco De Asis, Urb Marina, San Fulgencio, 03177, Alicante, Spain 38n21, 0w29